Baby + Mama ~ What to pack for the hospital!

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Nothing makes me calm like organization, so I sat down to make a list of all the things I'll be packing in my hospital bag soon. Since this is my second time around, I've learned a few things... and it's all about keeping it simple. No need to overpack.


Top Ten Essentials:
  1. Nursing gown and robe - You'll want something nice to cover up with when you duck out to see your little love in the nursery, and when you take those first precious photos. I'm obsessed with Cake Lingerie's stuff. I raved about their nursing bra here, and these sets are no exception. Luxurious, cozy & so cute! (Get the Apple Crumble Robe here, and the Rocky Road Chemise here.) 
  2. Going home outfit for baby - A friend gifted my little man some outfits from Kicky Pants and I fell in love. Organic, deliciously soft & so sweet. This one avail here. (Don't worry, the hospital will arm you with your first set of diapers and swaddlers to take your bundle home.)
  3. Flip flops or slippers - No one wants to walk around with bare feet. I'd recommend sandals over slippers so you can also wear them home, and save space in your suitcase. (Weather permitting, of course!)
  4. Music playlist - Whether it's an iPod, iPhone, old fashioned CD or boom box, make sure your music conveys the mood you want to create in the room. Alexi Murdoch from the Soundtrack "Away We Go" sang my daughter gently into this world, and I think I may do a repeat for little man. The song "All My Days" breaks my heart (in a good way) every time I hear it. 
  5. Makeup Bag with the following - Toothbrush/toothpaste, brush, hair clips/hair ties, razor, shampoo/conditioner (I like to use WEN - a one step process), contact lenses/glasses, hand sanitizer for visitors, & some light makeup - concealer, mascara, lip balm & a bit of blush should do the trick. I recommend Stila's Convertible Color, it works for both cheeks and lips and comes in a cute little compact!
  6. Going home outfit for you - Bring something loose & easy but still (remotely) put together. A cotton maxi dress works great. And (sorry to say) but you will still look pregnant, so a maternity dress you already have will work as well. Some cute & cheap choices at Old Navy
  7. Your favorite pillow - You will want this. Trust me. 
  8. Camera, camcorder and all of the charging equipment that comes with it. Wanna get fun and go vintage? This one from Modcloth made me swoon. 
  9. Cozy socks - Your feet will get cold. Your lady bits will hurt. Let's try to make things as comfortable as possible. 
  10. Birth plan - Have it written out and submitted to your doctor before hand, but also take one with you. It's important to be on the same page with the doctor and staff regarding how you want things to go down. For tips on writing one, go here