Father's Day BBQ & Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe

Monday, June 18, 2012

Yesterday we joined our neighbors and friends for a potluck BBQ in celebration of our favorite dads. I wanted to make something easy and yummy, that was not only in honor of my own father (who I lost in 2002, and who absolutely LOVED this dish), but to my baby daddy - who also happens to be a fan. (Warning: it is not a *skinny trick. I repeat, fat city. But boy is it good.)
(Me sans makeup, with wet hair wrapped up in a bun! 
This fattening dish covered up my giant preggers belly!
Scroll down for recipe...)

My homegirl, Priscilla (aka P-Dog) contributed some greens to even out the health quota, by whipping up her famous salad nicoise.

I couldn't get enough of this salad, I seriously had three helpings. Topped with classic Italian dressing, it was better than most salads I order in restaurants.
Easy, simple ingredients of egg, cucumber, greens, red potato and onion, fresh green beans, olives, cherry tomatoes and canned tuna. (You can get fancy and make fresh tuna, but we were more interested in hanging out than slaving in the kitchen. Plus, we have three toddlers between us, so you do the chaos math.)


We had a blast though, and even the neighborhood kids found it hard to resist the hammock and treats. I also made these homemade banana cupcakes for dessert.

All in celebration of these handsome daddies... 
Love you guys! And now... 

Juanita's Chicken Enchilada Casserole

3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 4 oz can diced green chiles
1 tsp chile powder
1/4 tsp pepper
4 tsp diced onions (Possible omit - I have a picky husband, so I do.)
1/8 tsp garlic powder (You can use onion powder if omitting the above.)
1/4 tsp tabasco sauce
1 cup chicken broth (Reserved from boiled chicken.)
4 cups Fritos (Yes, the chips. Told you it wasn't a skinny trick!)
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Boil chicken breasts in water until done, checking often. You do not want to over cook! Reserve 1 cup broth. When chicken is cooled, dice into bite size pieces. Preheat oven to 350.
Combine soups, chiles, spices, tabasco and chicken broth in a bowl. Blend well. 
Cover bottom of glass casserole dish with 1/2 of the crushed Fritos chips. Top with half of the diced chicken, then half of the sauce mixture, ending with grated cheese. Repeat process, ending with grated cheese on top. For extra crunchy goodness, sprinkle some more chips on top. 
Bake for 25-30 min and enjoy! xx