Handwritten with Love

Wednesday, August 25, 2010


Spare moments are precious and few.
So are old-fashioned love letters.

There is something so romantic about pen to paper, watching your own calligraphy swirl around as thoughts bounce about in your head.

Nobody seems to write them anymore, and that makes me a bit sad, because in my opinion, they are such a beautiful (and dying) art form.

So, amongst all the party planning, and chaotic morning madness, I took a moment today to write a letter to my last participating pen-pal. My Grandfather is a widower living in West Virginia, who's been quite lonely since my Grandmother passed, and doesn't really have much these days (including a computer.) Sometimes I feel like these letters I write to him are just as much for me, as they are for him.


Find lovely stationary here

It's like my spare moment of peace, of zen, of meditation in thought and I know that somehow this old fashioned way of communicating, brings out the best in me as a writer and also as a Granddaughter.

I finished my thoughts, and signed it with love, and somehow became calmer, and clearer headed about my own life, by sharing it with him.

I wish you all a spare moment of peace today.

xx

7 comments:

  1. awww. a wave of relaxation just came over me, you have been an inspiration. Thanks, I love your blog!

    http://www.girlyfemme.blogspot.com
    twitter.com/velvetylace

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful! Just gorgeous my love
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This actually made me tear up. Because I really feel you on how sad it is that we don't write one another anymore. There's something so special about writing someone a letter. It takes time, thought, and Love. What a beautiful gift for your grandfather. I'm sure it means the world to him. Thank you for inspiring me with this post! This makes me want to send a special little letter to someone who could use a little extra Love in their day :)

    PS Thank you so much for your kindness :) You truly made my day!

    All my Love,
    B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. handwritten letters are a dying art and i,too, have a stockpile of pretty paper just begging to be written on. what am i waiting for?

    thank you for reminding us about the little things that make a big difference.

    xo,
    sylvie of silver lining

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree. I write letters all the time. It helps me slow down and give thought to what we want to say. Great post and this is my first visit here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet. I can't remember the last time I received a handwritten letter...this makes me want to start a pen pal club. I'm sure your letters make his whole day...

    xxo Kelly
    Glamourous Spirit

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is really sweet of you to write to him :) my great grandma used to write me all the time and now she is getting alzheimers so doesn't write anymore. i wish i would have written her more!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you guys! If you ask a question, I will be sure to respond back here. xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...